Skip to main content

Sermon #27: THE BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD

  “But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. So I will stretch out my hand …” Exodus 3: 19-20 I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him,” God said to Moses. I rephrase this statement as follows: “I know that the devil will not leave you alone unless a mighty hand compels him.” That sounds totally true. Satan has to be compelled to leave you alone, to let you go. He will never willingly let you go. This goes to show the determination that Satan has when it comes to constraining the children of God; he wants to keep them in bondage forever. Christians, therefore, need to be more determined than the devil to free themselves from his shackles. Unfortunately, a number of Christians are too lukewarm or absent-minded to even think of getting their freedom; such Christians, therefore, remain under Satan’s bondage in various areas of their lives. The devil is determined to bind you forever. If the devil i...

Sermon #5: THE CHRISTIAN SOUL FOOD


“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:34

I find this to be a very powerful declaration! How encouraging it is to the Christian soul!

Consider the scripture quoted above. Jesus had not eaten anything up to this time of day. The disciples knew therefore that Jesus was hungry; so, they brought Him some food and asked Him to spare some time to eat.

But note Jesus’ response!

First Jesus told the disciples that He had food to eat that they did not know anything about. Of course, the disciples would not have known anything about the food Jesus referred to because they had never considered it to be food; this is why they wondered if somebody had already brought Jesus some food to eat.

Then Jesus explained, “My food… is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:34

Jesus’ response challenges me to the bone!

Just imagine how important food is. Food gives us energy; it keeps us active. Food maintains our health and all our body parts in perfect form and functionality. Food gives us life; without it, nobody survives.

That is the importance of physical food to human beings.

Yet Jesus, in my view, takes this to be a lower level in the food category. There is a higher level of ‘food’, the one that has to be taken ahead of lunch and dinner! Man shall not live by bread alone; I now understand this better.

What was Jesus’ favorite food? It was “to do the will of him who sent Him and to finish His work.” What a mindset!

Doing the will of God should be the Christian’s favorite food. Not pizza! Not burgers! Not ice cream!

Check this. Jesus effectively said, “I get energy from doing the will of God. I function better when I am in the will of God. I am alive only to the extent that I am functioning within the will of God. I get the strength and the desire to go on with life only when I am in the perfect will of God. Earthly life is meaningless if I operate outside of the will of God.”

Something like that did Jesus teach His disciples.

A mindset to emulate, isn’t it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon #12: OUR EXCEEDING GREAT REWARD

“After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.”  Genesis 15:1 Let me put this matter into context. Listen to this:  “The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.’ ”  Genesis 12:1 And now note what Abram did in response to God’s instruction:  “So Abram went, as the LORD had told him…”  Genesis 12:4 The action that Abram took in response to God’s instruction is a great example of what walking with God really means. Quite an inspiration! God instructed Abram, and Abram did exactly as God had instructed him. Have you ever noted that some people are quite articulate at explaining the Scriptures? Have you also noted, and sadly so, that some, probably quite a number, of such people do not practise what they know and teach? It’s truly bewildering! They know the will of God, but they choose to follow their own will i...

Sermon #10: AS THE LORD COMMANDS

“And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him.” Genesis 7:5 It’s always inspiring to read the above-cited Bible verse, or any other scripture similar to it. Noah did all that the Lord commanded him; doesn’t this encourage you to act likewise? God was about to bring floods onto the earth; in making the decision, God remembered Noah. May God remember you whenever a calamity of any kind is about to come near you! Let us now consider why God had Noah at heart to such an extent. It was because He found Noah righteous compared with the other people of his generation. This was before the era of grace because grace came through Jesus Christ and Noah live well before Jesus came to the world. So, the attribute that made Noah stand out from the rest before God was his obedience. Obedience to God is as important in this current age of grace as it was during Noah’s days. Grace was never intended to be a license for disobedience! Remember, Christ Himself obeyed His Father at all times. Every Christ...